I love Fall.
It’s probably my most favorite season next to spring.
And y’all know how much I love nature. 😀
I find the bite in the crispy, cool air on a bright day refreshing.
I love Halloween, spooky nights, cozy and comforting baked breads, and the crunching sound of burnt orange, crimson and turmeric-colored leaves on my walks to work.
I love oversized sweaters and being bundled up in a patterned scarf.
I love that kind of autumnal sleepy lull the season brings before the harshness and darkness of winter.
But, most of all, I love how reflective the seasonal change makes me.
It probably makes me more reflective than my usual heavily reflective state. 😀
I am going home during the autumn season for the first time in a long time.
And that’s pretty neat.
This has caused me to reflect on what a great life adventure I have been having–all of the lightness and darkness it has shown me–and what it has taught me.
I have had a very colorful life, and it is my mission to grow into a wise woman like Maya Angelou and hopefully, one day, bestow my knowledge and bring some positive influence to someone’s life.
So, the following are my fundamentals on how I try to live my life and to help me grow to become the most bad-ass person I can be:
1. Be kind to unkind people. Everyone has a battle inside of themselves they are trying to fight. This can make people harsh, cold and mean on the outside. You may want to be unkind to someone who is unkind to you, but it is important to remember that that negativity is coming from pain. We all need a little support in this life. I try to be kind. It is not always easy and I am not always successful but I do try.
2. Be open minded. Love who you want to love, dress how you want to dress, be who you want to be, be different, be status quo, be nothing, be something. As long as you aren’t hurting anyone or anything, just be you. I appreciate you for being true to your spirit.
3. Do not let the cruelty of the world kill your essence. I come from an activist family and I have done my fair share of activist work. I have experienced things. You have experienced things. This exposure has made me a realist. I refuse to let the darkness of humanity kill my light. It is important to rise above and not let negative experiences destroy. The world needs more light, more healing and more compassion. I refuse to let that be taken from me.
4. Appreciate the unique experience of living on Earth. I have spoken about this before I think in some of my posts. It’s a magical experience being able to know what life is like on a planet instead of viewing one from afar. It’s truly the most amazing thing. I think about this daily and pay attention to the profound-yet-minute details of nature that go on around us–sun reflecting off water, sparkling dew drops in the early morning hours, huge Harvest moons, fluffy bumblebees buzzing around flowers, and so on.
5. Society is a game. Work, the stock market, social success, money, status, power are all “not sure ifs” for me. I’ve never been one to adhere to any type of construct. I play by acceptable society rules because I need to do it in order to have a decent life but I do see through the facade. Remembering it’s make believe helps get me through sometimes. You may not agree with this, and I’m not asking you to, it’s just the way I, personally, see things.
6. Tell people you love them. There is an urgency to life that I carry with me always due to the passing of my father, who I was greatly connected to. Do away with what doesn’t serve you in life and tell people you love that you love them. Don’t wait. Life is too short for bullshit.
7. No matter what happens, get back up. This feeds back into number 3, but no matter what happens, keep that fighting spirit and get back up. The world needs you.
I’m sure there are more but these are some of the core beliefs I hold for myself and try to live by. To me, life is about learning and growing as much as possible, and to have a positive impact while I’m here.
I think I am doing that, which is pretty cool. I mean, we are all trying to do our best in life, right?
Time to head back out into that autumnal sunshine. 🙂